The Itria Valley is a unique setting and one of central Puglia’s natural gems. Just a few kilometres from its main town, in the strip of land between Alberobello and Martina Franca you can find century-old olive groves, ancient ‘trulli’ houses and historic farmhouses. So let its typical dry stone walls and winding country roads draw you into the heart of this unforgettable paradise.
Bari – Alberobello
Meet up with our tour guide at the airport and drive to Alberobello.
Arrival at the MASSERIA TORRICELLA farmhouse and check in.
A tour of the farmhouse, dinner and an overnight stay.
An initial guided tour of Alberobello with a tasting session at the end of it.
Lunch in a typical local restaurant.
Afternoon free for shopping.
Back to the farmhouse for dinner and an overnight stay.
Alberobello — Locorotondo | 11km – 2.20h walk
A walk in the hills behind Locorotondo. On this walk we pass through some splendid green countryside with trees and flowers, until we catch sight of the Saint George church bell tower on one side and the hilltop town of Martina Franca, on the other, with its impressive Baroque monuments. The contradas include:
– Ritunno Grande (an ancient centre)
– Ritunno Piccolo (with all kinds of trulli constructions, rocks used as threshing floors and courtyards with dry stone walls)
– Serra (with its typical constructions – trulli, cummerse and casedde with external stairs)
A walk around the town is followed by a drive to the MASSERIA APRILE farmhouse.
Check in, dinner and an overnight stay.
Locorotondo — Cisternino | 14km – 2.55h walk
A walk along the last crags of the Murgiana hills before they drop to the Adriatic “Piana degli Ulivi” (Olive Plain). We walk through landscapes where the bustle of modern life is exchanged for the sounds of nature, including the contradas:
– Serafino (with different types of building : casedde, trulli and a house with a cummerse-style roof)
– Tumbinno (with three squares, a fountain and a public cistern)
– Marinelli (a large central stone square surrounded by oak trees, opposite the SS. Medici church which we will visit)
A walk around the town and then back to the farmhouse for dinner and an overnight stay.
Breakfast, check-out and departure as programmed